Sunday, January 25, 2015

Taking a Flying Leap

It seemed to be a good idea at the time. I was in a place where I was searching for a closer understanding of God, seeking a more spiritually divine connection.

I decided to go Sky Diving, be closer to Heaven, a magical mission to explore and I wanted to sign up.

When I arrived at the location, I felt eager to put my suit on, step on the plane and jump. Looking back on it, I am surprised how unafraid I was because I’m scared of heights. But it just felt so different at the time.

After an hour of Tandem instruction, my jump master and I loaded the plane anticipating the whole exciting experience. As we were connecting our suits together, we jumped out of the plane with ease. I didn’t realize it was a bumpy landing but he apologized and explained that his parachute didn’t open, having to open my chute. I was clueless. All I knew was that the experience was breathtaking. 

And I wanted more.

Next time, I wanted to jump by myself. After an extended class, I suited up with my two jump masters and loaded the plane. There is a protocol to learn and instruction to follow so this time it wasn’t just a free-fall like I anticipated. The jump masters had a checklist of steps I needed to follow and they were very serious about their job. 

Ok. I’m ready.

Our first flight together was so invigorating, taking a long time for the plane to fly to the desired altitude of 14,000 feet. Heaven here we come! All the skydivers were eager to jump, lining up at the door, but before they did, they were trying to get the pilot’s attention because something was wrong. The flaps were not opening to slow the plane down enough for us to jump. After a few minutes, it was fixed and the lined-up men were flying out of the side of the plane with great force! I see how this became quite an adrenaline rush. 

After an amazing jump, we landed safely.

The next flight on another day we had the same routine but as the plane flew to the proper height, ready to jump, we flew into a cloud. I will always remember the tingly feeling on my face from the cloud moisture and its color. I found out later that it wasn’t a good idea to jump while in a cloud due to lack of visibility. Once again, I was living in the moment, enjoying every minute of it. 

I was taken aback by the beauty of God’s creation below and appreciating it. Wow.

Looking back on this and seeing the obstacles that I faced, I thought God was telling me to take a step back; maybe this wasn’t where I needed to be right now. I just didn’t want to see it because I really, really enjoyed being “in Heaven”. I wanted as much as of this glorious experience as I could get. This was life coaching for my soul!

One day while watching TV, there was a plane crash. The owner’s son, my jump master and others died after take-off. The details were blurry. That could have been me! I now realize that God is everywhere, not just in the clouds. I see Him all the time, everywhere: in the serenity of a beautiful sunset; in the beauty of my Grandchildren. 

Every day God blesses me with miracles.

In hindsight, what I have learned is that when I go astray, God winks! If I still don’t get it, He nudges. I finally get it when the brick falls on my head. But regardless of my bruised ribs and bumps on my head, I know it’s not yet my time to take that eternal ride in the clouds. And every moment, every day I cherish and thank God for His blessings and His miracles. Now, if that’s not a spiritually divined connection only God knows what is! 

That’s what I’ve been searching for to begin with. Amen




2 comments: