Saturday, January 24, 2015

Have Everything I Need and Nothing I Want

Day #6 ~ Tell us a time when you surprised yourself.

This is Day 6 of Your Turn Challenge, an initiative to practice the art of shipping by writing one blog post every day for a week.

Aging: Eventually you will reach a point when you accept your age and start bragging about it.

It happened one day when it became clear that everything I did up until this point got me here, where I am today. Acceptance of who I am.

I came to the conclusion that the choices I made, all the experiences I had, all brought me here today. It led me to who I am.

It is feeling comfortable in my own skin.

There isn’t anything I would change.

Am I surprised? Yes.

Years ago, I didn’t have this perception. I wanted every decision to be right. I jumped on board with society’s idea of success; owning the right car, looking young and having a lot of money in the bank.

I was left with feeling inadequate, not feeling like I fit in and not excited about life.

Today I am satisfied with looking my age and owning a 1999 Honda, and having just enough in the bank.

As much as it would please me to be rich, what I discovered is the richness of the lesson came when the money showed up when I really needed it. Divine timing.  I wouldn’t have seen the miracle of a plan coming together if I quickly fix it with my disposable income.

There are many perks to being myself.

I am doing what pleases me without worrying about what other people think about me. I am grateful when my husband can replace something that is broken in my ole’ automobile. For now, I chose not to have a car payment.

I am accepting my gray hair and choosing not to dye it anymore. It’ll be fun to see what color it will turn out to be.

I am surprised that I have reached this age having this acceptance.

It wasn’t always easy to make these choices. It could have been nice to look younger but I really like myself when I look in the mirror. I take pleasure riding down the highway with my aging jalopy.


I have everything I need and nothing I want. Life is pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment