Thursday, January 29, 2015

Hey Waiter...

Jumping in the car after deciding we wanted a hamburger, my husband and I were scouring the area for the best restaurant to have one for supper. After looking over a delectable menu filled with tasty entrees, we decided we wanted to share a whopping hamburger with all the toppings.

The server wasn’t as happy with our decision as we were when he heard that we wanted to share our meal. Actually, he was disappointed. It wasn’t the extra plate he needed to get; I bet he was concerned about the tip we were going to give him.

Everyone knows the tip is based on the size of the bill but I pride myself as being generous as the next guy when it comes to taking care of the server because my daughter depended on this income when she was going to college.

But he didn’t know that.

The service was not good. I noticed he was spending more quality time with his other tables that had a bigger crowd. My glass of water was empty and noticed the rim of the glass was sticky, as well.

Good service = good tip.

Then a thought came to me.

Have I always given my best knowing there is a chance that I won’t be rewarded?

But what’s the payoff?

There is an innate desire for humans to do the right thing. Is it an obligation that was taught from young? There is a point in time that we make that choice.

How do we want to live?

When I have good intentions to do my best, in the evening when I lay my head on the pillow, that’s when I want to feel good about myself. That simple. It is who I want to be.

Kindness grows. It manifests itself.

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it”. ~Paulo Coelho

Life has a way rewarding us with the intentions that we are setting. Good or bad.

Every morning we start out with a choice. If I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I can start my day over anytime, beginning again.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” ~Abe Lincoln

Chances are good when I’m not being kind then apologies are given and if I continually follow that path, there comes a time when that behavior becomes who I am. Unhappy. Miserable. Life isn’t fun anymore.


So let it begin with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment