Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Columbian Jaunt

Columbia, Missouri

With so much to see, one could spend more than a weekend exploring Columbia, Missouri. This Midwest gem is located in northern mid-Missouri, 120 miles west from St. Louis, and one of my favorite places to visit. As a college town, the city has a reputation and a huge emphasis on education but its main street charm with art stores, coffee shops, makes the trip worthwhile.


My first stop was Fretboard Coffee, located on Walnut Street, is a family owned business that prides themselves on “each cup of rich, harmoniously blended Fretboard coffee that touches your lips will be roasted just for you”.


Meeting Austin, the Barista, was really fun! He created a Chia blend with espresso and topped it with a heart! Delicious! Austin has a sense of heartfelt passion that shows in his work! 


Next stop was meeting Sami at the Root Cellar Grocery. Their mission statement is to support Missouri’s diverse farmers and artisan food products by providing a high-quality outlet for consumers. They are a retail grocery store in downtown Columbia that features Missouri-raised farm and food products. It was fun listening to Sami, explaining the grocery’s Box Program with passion. It is a weekly food subscription program to make healthy, local eating convenient and affordable. I agree that buying local food changes everything. Sami was delightful!






As an avid crystal admirer, my trip was made complete by checking the local crystal shops. The Wild West store was the high point of my trip! I loved talking with Don, the owner as he has many years of experience with crystals and gems. I bought a beautiful Chinese turquoise necklace that I treasure!



When planning my trip, I came across Boone County Museum & Galleries located at 3801 Ponderosa Street. It is a non-profit organization committed to preserving and interpreting local and regional history. By the early 1980’s, the Society drafted plans for the museum and began to seek public support for its construction. It was completed almost entirely with private contributions, volunteer and donated materials. In 1994, the Montiminy Gallery was built highlighting the work of regional artists.  I took a walk around the beautiful grounds to see an Italianate style house that was built in 1877, also found on the property was a carriage house and a lake. Talking with another admirer, I learned of a Heritage festival they have in September. That is definitely another reason to visit again soon.




These are just the highlights what I saw on this trip to Columbia. The different variety of places really intrigued me to come back soon to explore more of their diverse city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment