Sunday, August 2, 2015

My Name Is Herman

Meeting some inspiring people on my mid life adventure

I saw him from time to time at the neighborhood park we frequent. Herman is a kind gentleman making the world a better place to live.

His green Kawasaki can be seen around the park cleaning up the grounds and doing it with pride.



This park employee could be seen lending a hand with visitors doing it gently and heartfelt.

As I walked past his truck I noticed a weathered, black elongated lunchbox sitting on the front seat among other work items he kept nearby.

                                                                                                      


It was something that I haven’t seen in years! It brought me back to my childhood memories, remembering my dad going to work with this black vintage lunchbox in tow.  

It was before the cool insulated totes and the expensive coffee lattes we required in our daily lives today. A slower life when we took the time to make a bologna sandwich and put our coffee in a thermos. I can still envision my dad putting on his weathered, work bib overalls over his suntan pants, plaid flannel shirt and well-used work boots, getting prepared for a full day’s work. His pockets overflowing with essentials like a flat carpenter’s pencil, a wooden fold up ruler and a white folded handkerchief. A send off farewell after he gave my mom a peck on the cheek. An early morning memory that I cherish. Monday through Friday, never taking a sick day, he climbed into his jalopy station wagon filled with tools and lumber and headed out for a honest day’s work.

Striking up a conversation with Herman was easy. He reminded me of a slower lifestyle, taking the time to have a heart-to-heart exchange with others about their day. 



Herman was happy to talk about his ‘walking foundation’, which he called his lunch box. Inside was an enclosed wipe his wife wanted him to use to clean his glasses instead of using water to wash his spectacles. He showed me the handwritten notes he saved from grateful visitors. Some food in a can and crackers to snack on. Any little trinkets of toys he found, he was happy to give them away to children he would meet. A little blue bag had dog treats inside if there was a need.



It reminded me of when life was simpler, feeling the worries of my day melting, my body relaxing, just because I took the time to meet a man with a heartfelt passion to enjoy his life to the fullest. 







No comments:

Post a Comment