Monday, October 12, 2015

Tree Climbing To The Summit of My Life

At one moment high in the trees while dangling from the strategically placed ropes, I purposely took a deep breath, relaxed my body enough to outstretch my arms and wiggle my legs. It can be done! With intent, I held the focus of my thoughts in the present moment.



At this crowning point in my life, I am learning freedom, facing my fear, putting an end to age restricting thoughts and understanding the ease of a task with companionship.

It’s interesting the people I meet on my midlife adventure that brought me to this high rise adventure at this point in time. I met Jon from Vertical Voyages by a chance meeting while walking down a nature trail, catching a glimpse of him guiding a climber to the top of a tall tree.

I was inspired and afraid at the same time. I was instantly reminded of my beliefs that could hold me back from this tree climbing adventure; my aging, my limited physical ability, and just believing I will freeze at this pinnacle.

The love of trees and my ambition to face my fears drove me to say yes!

The process of suiting up with harnesses, helmets and ropes with fancy knots was intimidating. Jon properly fitting me was a challenge asking, ‘is this comfortable?’ was not in my ‘feeling normal’ vocabulary. Nonetheless, I suit up and showed up with determination.

I faced my fear trusting his directions while I carefully stepped into the leg openings of the harness securing my torso and a chest apparatus, all being joined on a rope dangling from a strong trusted limb.

My head leaned back as far as it could to get a glimpse of my rope hanging from the summit of a distant branch. ‘I can do this’, I reminded myself reluctantly.  

With a few instructions under my belt, learning the ropes, I was pulling myself up with a simple procedure of pushing/pulling my arms and legs accordingly. No turning back now.

Jon encouraged me with his wisdom and comfort to face my fear of heights by focusing on my climbing technique and the present moment. I felt inspired by Jon who is adamantly passionate about climbing in nature and his appreciation for the outdoors.

I was persevering my way slowly in a northerly direction. In this heightened position, I gazed all around me at the surrounding lush trees and its branches and I felt a breeze and heard, “don’t worry, I’ll protect you”.

While swaying securely in my harness I had a choice to experience this moment by gripping with fear or letting go of being in control.



What I’m learning is trusting in the unforeseen.

Fear, if I was acrophobic, could easily show up by the awareness of how high I was, hanging without placing my feet on a tangible place for security. My worry could have easily taken me to a paralyzed feeling wanting to get off this scary carnival ride.

Climbing to my destination, upward closer to the top of the tree, a different perspective came to me about my life. I was secure in my harness, hanging down from strong ropes and at the same time I felt taken care of, protected. All the things I worried about were not going to happen. The questions popped into my mind, ‘Are all of my needs met in my life?’, ‘Do I have all it takes to live a full life?’ Gratefully I answered yes.

I almost made it to the top but didn’t, not because I couldn’t, because I decided not today.

“How are you doing? Ann”, Jon checking on me.

Assuredly responded, “Wonderful”.

“I’m ready to come down”, I confidently said.

“Why?”

Reluctantly, looking within for the truth, I paused and said, “I’m tired….?!”

“Needing some help?”

Pondering to myself, ‘did I ask?’.

Reality check. Was I really tired or experiencing any fear? Not sure but I guess I’m willing to move forward.

Then a strong feeling of determination came over me and I said, “YES!”

Jon then boosted me from my rope on the ground and we pulled my suspended rope together easily moving up a few more feet. Easy with somebody’s help I discovered.

It was the same time that my fellow climber, Tim was descending. He made it easily to the top for his first attempt. We were parallel at the height of our ropes, close enough where we had an insightful conversation.



A peaceful moment between two adventurers forty feet suspended by ropes on a huge white oak tree in a lush forest. Wow. I felt an overwhelming feeling of relaxation with another human being sharing our experience. All of this felt a little silly to me, reminding me of where we were, in a harness, hanging from ropes, very high off the ground. I felt protected and taken care of in an unexpected way.



For a moment in a great height in the trees, I noticed how peaceful it was. I felt the freedom of the branches swaying in the wind and the leaves keeping rhythm of the serenity. It was then I felt the heaviness in my body going away, the worrying, stress and all the tension. In the distance I could see trees mingling together in a sense of lightness that you could hear in a breeze. It reminded me that I could, too, feel the freedom of letting go.

I come to grips with wanting that freedom while in the trees; I loosened my tight grip of my arms stretching them wide open and released the chokehold my legs were in, wiggling them into the emptiness below me.

I felt freedom!



Ascending up each part of the climb and coming to the summit of my life, I arrive at a breathing space where serenity could be found in the present moment, facing any fears, and accepting help along the way.

Descending, I came down with a better sense of serenity, having faced any aging apprehension, learning to live in the present moment.

Grateful to learn another lesson of love from Mother Nature and her trees.









No comments:

Post a Comment