Saturday, May 9, 2015

Plattsburg, Missouri

Trip One 2015 ~ My Midlife Adventure

I haven’t been everywhere but it’s on my list. ~ Susan Sontag


Destination ~ Spring into Healing Retreat

Their website describes them well, “…offering all the charm and warmth of a true Midwestern small town”. I discovered this city to be a country haven.

Where is Plattsburg, Missouri?

Plattsburg is a city and county seat of Clinton County, Missouri, which is located along the Little Platte River. As of 2010, the city population is 2,319. My road trip took me 4 hours and 263 miles west from my home in Crestwood, Missouri.

Wandering down the rolling hills on the back roads is one of my favorite things to experience as I trek down Route 13, a lone two lane state highway. I found it comforting to stop on the side of the road to hear the cow’s mooing and the distant train whistling in the background. As I slowed down to a stop to take a picture, I was astonished by the cow’s loudly screaming their discontent with me. Were they alerting their owner of a trespasser?


Driving down the highway ignited a hypnotic trance as I roam the back roads, and then quickly noticed a sign I just passed up. As curious as I am, I made a turnaround dash to see what I missed.



Die Brot Pann Bakery on Highway 13 in Richmond, Missouri was a welcoming sight for my sweet tooth. They stock their homemade bakery including bread, cookies and pie in this cute little house alongside a back country road. Their friendly hospitality was enduring. Their chocolate chip cookies were delectable.




Homemade apple pie, seven grain bread, monster and chocolate chip cookies. I ate the scrumptious chocolate cookies and saved the monster cookies for my husband. Surprised myself that I left the pie for later...


Back on the road on my weekend getaway to Plattsburg.


When the road leads you into Plattsburg, it feels like you stepped back in time. I was taken aback by the beautiful houses that nestled in the tree lined streets. It was welcoming!  





I’ve arrived!


Our accommodations for a perfectly restful place for our retreat.



My first welcoming sign of an enlightened stay.


Preparing for my retreat with a journal, a gem and an open heart.


Sarah took good care of us with her delicious vegetarian meals.





A wonderful time by all. Thank you Marilyn.






Clinton County Museum in Plattsburg.                                                                                I was really impressed how this museum gave us a glimpse of yesteryear with such wonderful artifacts and history. 

           








Sharing amazing trails with my dear friend Marilyn

 

 







I met such a nice friend at one of my workshops and she graciously invited me over for a flavorable lunch and a fun visit. Thanks, Phyllis

I left Plattsburg with wonderful memories of an adventure I will never forget and soon will visit again.

My heartfelt gratitude to Marilyn for the heartwarming retreat and for being such a gracious host and dear friend.
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Ann, it sounds like a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing all the photos! That gives such a multi-faceted view of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun adventure. Thank you for reading, Susan! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I love hearing about your journey ( outer and inner ) and the photos are an extra treat. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete